Youth Ministry aims to develop leadership skills, foster community, cultivate a stronger sense of justice, build self-confidence and promote spiritual maturity among the parish's youth. Under the direction of the Pastor and/or the Youth Ministers' Director, the Youth Minister is responsible for the implementation of youth programs and services at the parish. She ministers directly to the youth of the parish by leading sessions and events.
- Maintains contact list of youth involved in Youth Ministry at the Parish, and ensures any changes in this list are communicated promptly to the Youth Ministers' Director.
- Collaborates with the Youth Ministers' Director to plan prayer and liturgical celebration for youth.
- Is present for and conducts all Youth Ministry events at the parish.
- Invites and motivates parish youth to attend and participate in Youth Ministry events.
- Assists with youth retreats, faith sharing opportunities and youth formation.
- Facilitates the development of community among youth, their families, their parish and the local community.
- Coordinates the leading of prayer and reflection at youth events.
- Organizes the youth of the parish to participate in service projects within the community.
- Serves as an advocate for the needs of youth and families with youth to other parish groups and the wider community.
- Supports families in promoting healthy adolescent development and faith growth.
- Provides catechetical formation, faith sharing and small group reflection.
- Through established networks, refers youth to appropriate counselling and resource programs.
- Brings to the attention of the Youth Ministers' Director and/or Pastor any matters related to the needs of the youth.
- At the comfort level of the youth, the Youth Minister engages in conversation regarding personal and family topics.
- Makes recommendations for resource materials, referring agencies, budget and facility usage regarding the Youth Ministry to the Youth Ministry Director and/or Pastor.
- Communicates frequently with the Youth Ministers' Director.
- Liaises with the Office of Catholic Youth and other parish Youth Ministers.
- Is available for meetings and training on both the parish and diocesan levels.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Is a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church in good standing.
Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Has been registered with the parish for at least 2 years.
- Should have experience as a Youth Minister and knowledge of the principles of youth ministry.
- Is recognized within the parish community as a person of good reputation.
- Has appropriate leadership and organizational skills.
- Is familiar with the Liturgy and the teachings of the Catholic Church and has an understanding of catechetical methodology and the stages of faith development.
- Can relate effectively and communicate clearly with others, especially youth.
- Has the ability to motivate, enable and engage youth.
- Must have good presentation skills.
- Has the ability to facilitate meetings and group dynamics.
- In cases of emergency, knows contacts and/or procedures.
- Is willing to participate in ongoing formation.
Personal Traits and Qualities
- Desires to serve the community and to commit time and talents to this ministry.
- Needs to be a person of prayer.
- Honest, dependable and can maintain strict confidentiality.
- Sufficient maturity to exercise this ministry with proper attention.
- Shows energy, enthusiasm and a concern for youth and their families.
- Is comfortable mentoring and witnessing to her/his personal faith.
- Is comfortable with being accountable and is sensitive to the observance of proper boundaries.
- Has a spirit of generosity and creativity.
Orientation and Training
- Standard parish orientation program.
- There are resources and sessions provided through the Office of Catholic Youth at the Archdiocese of Toronto.